During my lifelong love affair with porridge I have never experimented with savoury flavours, never even considered it an option. As a child I loved my porridge topped with spoonful’s of dark sweet treacle and while I have since moved away from my sugary childhood favourite, my bowlful of oats are nearly always topped with sweet fruit in some form. This morning however something strange happened. I was feeling brave and daring and topped my oats with avocado, poached egg and a touch of spicy chilli sauce and I may just have started a whole new love affair.
Happytummyfact- Studies have shown that eating oats may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. They are a good source of protein, complex carbohydrates, iron and full of both soluble and insoluble fibre helping keep you full and also to keep things moving.
1 ½ cups of water
½ an avocado
Franks hot sauce (optional)
Salt & Pepper
- Soak your oats overnight in the 1 ½ cups of water.
- Place you oats on the heat and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then season with salt and pepper.
- While your oats are cooking bring a pan of water to a steady simmer. Add a dash of white vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Crack your egg in to a cup.
- With a spoon create a whirlpool in your water and slowly lower the egg into the water and leave for 3 mins. This will give you a soft yolk in the centre.
- Once your oats are cooked, plate up and top with your avocado, egg and hot sauce.